Monday, April 23, 2007
I didn't remove the cardboard.
Instead I filled another black bag with weeds and dug my first bean bed, two rows of French dwarf beans, and another row where I planted my courgettes, 4 gherkin plants and I also planted a little bit of radish. I added a few more peas where the rows seemed to have gaps.
The potato bin is going great guns!! I added more fill, a mixture of peat, compost, soil, and my horse-stable waste. It would be so funny if I got it to grow.
Just when I had given up hope on the parsnips, I spotted ONE seedling, thanks to a photo posted on Allotments 4 All - so if one has made it, there may well be others. So I refrained from digging that plot over again and I will wait. Also suspect some of the carrots are starting. Yippee! About time, they have taken bloody ages.
"There is a corner of a foreign field that is, forever... ummm Australia" - never mind. You get the idea.
You go girl!
Ah, I am on holidays at the end of teh week, I will spend a bit of time down there whipping it into shape, I will try and get my hands on things to make decent paths and lots of straw to cover up the miserable bits. And if he don't like it, he can just kiss my asparagus...
I personally believe the old plastic sheeting/cardboard trick to smother weeds is so very clever. Our neighbour has an impressive veggie garden and he uses that technique.
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
Subscribe to Posts [Atom]