Monday, December 03, 2012

 

December chill

November was a bit of a washout, with pretty wet weather and a busy schedule. But yesterday I pottered down to the allotment. Came back with the first Brussel sprouts, they look tasty, a Chinese cabbage ( the bloody voles have been eating them! bastards), some rocket and some swiss chard. The rest is doing well, the sprouting broccoli is getting very big and needed staking, the cauliflower is getting a good size and those characteristic "wrapping" leaves are forming in the centre. The spring cabbage is also looking healthy so hopefully I will keep getting greens throughout the off season.

I planted the first row of garlic, about 12 cloves. It was so quick, as I had already prepared the ground, I felt a bit silly not having brought the whole packet down! I will plant the rest next week.
I have been on the whole not very well prepared this autumn and the plot is untidy. But I will just persevere with the preparations as the winter goes on.
I got a good bargain from www.vegetableseeds.net. They had 3 days at 50% off so I put in a big order for seeds at a great price. Now I still need some pumpkin  and squash seeds and a few tomatoes but on the whole, I have a good stock on its way!

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]