Tuesday, September 25, 2012
So late in posting!
I had practically no courgettes except a few pattypans, no cucumbers, no tomatoes, no aubergines, very few beans (no Cobras at all !) although the runners were not too bad.
I found it really hard to persevere with the adverse conditions and very bad germination rates.
SO I am just digging over what remains, fertilising the winter crops and hoping for the best with the winter manure...
I have in the ground the brussel sprouts, sprouting broccoli quite a few leeks, some winter cauli a few cabbages and some swiss chard. I may try some late lamb's lettuce this weekend, the packet says sow till october... I will fleece it maybe.
Lessons to be learned:
- I need to mulch. I did not do it and this was a big mistake. I think it would have greatly helped the crops during the dry spell.
- I need to hoe more.
- I need to water more regularly.
- I probably need to spot fertilise more.
- I also need to grow fewer things of each group but sow more often. I find that really hard to sort out.
- I must cover more the seedlings, to keep them moist.
Subscribe to Posts [Atom]