Tuesday, May 29, 2012

 

Hot days

At last, some sunny weather! And the young plants like it, even if there needs to be a little watering of the transplanted seedlings.
I worked hard this weekend, the long Pentecost weekend, the last now before the summer holidays. I transplanted beetroot, leeks and the Chinese cabbage that was too close to the rhubarb to thrive. I hoed and weeded, sowed tarragon, and a strange herb called Porophyllum ruderale or Bolivian coriander which you add fresh to South American dishes. Could be a strange new plant! I also tidied all the edges, with pick and shovel, and lawn scissors, pushing the cut grass back onto the edges of the plot where possible. 2 wheelbarrows full of bindweed, dandelion, redshank, thistle and chickweed were pulled out. The rhubarb chard was pulled out, except one plant left to flower and produce seed. The turnips were also pulled out - there are some that have formed a root, while others have not. Most odd. There is lots of greenery which I will try to cook, rather than waste it.
Everything is now out, bar the Borlotti beans and continuing sowings of green beans.
I harvested strawberries (just a handful), a nice sweet lettuce, and a few herbs. I will try a get a few more new spuds out tonight.
And I finally found time to take some pictures! Pity I took them before my big weed out, but you get the idea.
Soon we will be eating the first peas! There are tiny pods popping out all over them:
The runner beans have started to pop out - some haven't worked so I need to sow a few more in the gaps. The seedlings are frighteningly big.... There are a few lettuce in the middle, to use up the excess space. This is now nicely weeded. On the left there will be the first dwarf French beans too.
The roses are beautiful, I will make a few bouquets. You can see here the rhubarb over the back, huge it is, and  the artichokes nearer the front. They all take up quite a bit of room now!



The tomato stakes are up. You can see on the right the peppers and aubergines. They hate going outside and sulk for a while especially as it has been chilly but now they are starting to pick up. The bushy white thing along the path is a coriander in flower. The insects love it.
The potato bed has rarely been so lush. The spring rain seems to agree with them. You can see in the foreground that I have started harvesting them.The onions are over the back there - they are very green and lush too. Aren't the irises pretty?
This is a more general view. I put up a windbreak for the tomatoes, dunno if it really helps but they seem to like it as they are growing well. The other plots around me are pretty tidy but I am pleased that I have everything planted out for the season now, even if it's still a little weedy. I will take a new pic this week showing the other side, where I have scraped out the edges and made it very clean and tidy. I need to master the art of the closeup pic so I can show the lavender that will soon be flowering, the rocket pods ready to give new seeds, the orange marigolds and the deep red roses.


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]