Monday, November 30, 2009

 

Shit

No no, I am not going to relate some disaster, I really mean "shit", as in cow shit. A really really big heap of it. Which is now sitting next to my plot.

One of the girls on the lot got a farmer that wanted to sell some manure so she ordered some for 8 of us. Actually she didn't tell me first and I thought the price a bit steep, 15 euros for a cubic metre but as she had been kind enough to take the initiative, I said Yes. I had said I would come down and take it on Saturday but as it turned out Saturday was a complete deluge, it rained from morning to night so I wrote that off as a bad job. Sunday was fairly clear so down I went, only to find that the girls had indeed been down on Saturday in the pouring rain and had shovelled most of it onto the various plots. How kind they are.
So now I have two huge heaps of manure. (apologies for the crap, pardon the pun, photos, just the telephone camera).

Not quite sure how to tackle it, really. I started spreading some of it, but there is an awful lot there. I think I will just try and spread it for now and hope that it gets incorporated when I dig things over in the spring.
I pulled out the dead summer plants, the courgettes, tomatoes, aubergines, peppers and it looked immediately 100% better. The old bean stalks etc are now covered with a tonne of crap so that takes care of them. Where I had pulled up the plants, everything was nice and dug over so I spread quite a lot of manure over that.


With all the rain we are getting, I hope it will integrate into the earth quite quickly.
So left to be done in December, keep tidying up here and there, plant the garlic (where the toms were so the earth there will be pretty rich, it was manured in the spring, hopefully that will mean a good garlic harvest), and keep shovelling shit! I am usually stirring shit, so this will be a new experience ;-)

Labels: , , ,


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]