Monday, March 23, 2009

 

Spuds and onions

Today the muscles are asking me why I decided to plant the last of the onions and the rest of the early spuds on the same day! Because it's spring and beautiful weather! so we'll just have to put up with the stiff thighs.
The rest of the early spuds went in, I seem to have caluclated just right, a whole bed will be given over to spuds this year. And another is wholly alliums, garlic, shallots, yellow and red onions. The first onions and shallots have started to send up their little green shoots so I am hoping that the harvest will be good.
I love growing onions and potatoes, it's easy and pretty satisfying, I love it when you harvest the potatoes. They look so dead on the surface and then underneath all those lovely fresh little spuds just waiting to go in the pot!
Also on Saturday morning (with the help of my friend Sophie, gardening for the first time ever!) we pulled up the old cabbages and sprouts, dug up the rest of the leeks (they will be chopped and frozen tonight) and harvested the purple sprouting broccoli! A strange experience that, it was the first time I had ever eaten it. You don't get much but it tasted good. I also sowed the broccoli, sprouts and some spring lettuce and cloched them, in a little seed bed.
The plot is still quite grassy and untidy but it now looks much more worked over, with the onion bed full and the spud corner all turned over. It has a nice spring feel at the moment: rhubarb getting taller, peas and broad beans coming up out of the ground, the berries getting their leaves, lovely mauve flowers on the rosemary.
What are the next jobs to be done? So far I have stuck pretty well to what I wanted to achieve. Next week, must get in some more horse manure, start making piles for the summer squash and mulching the potatoes, I must also sow some more carrots and beetroot (the first lot of seed has failed), weed the flower section and put in some seed for the summer, and tend to the indoors stuff (sowing the tomatoes and leeks, it's time, pricking out the chilli peppers and eggplants/aubergines).

Labels: , , , ,


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]