Monday, September 29, 2008
All coming to an end
And start looking at the seed catalogues! And make the inevitable dos and donts list for 2009.
- Do plant aubergines, my neighbours got terrific crops!!
- Do set up a polytunnel for peppers and chillis and melons next year. Outdoors is just not hot enough for them.
- DO get some nicer tomato varieties, although those little Harzfeuer are very tasty.
- Do plant celery and celeriac earlier and water it well.
- Do plant loads of beetroot as we eat lots of that.
- Do plant those lovely Farador yellow courgettes and get in some real squash seeds as pumpkins do well here.
- Do plant more spuds.
- DO plant some dahlia bulbs as the neighbour has ever such nice ones, and they seem easy to grow.
- Do grow yellow onions from seed and put the red onions in later (April) so they don't bolt.
- Don't try lettuce again, it's a waste of time.
- Don't buy plug plant cabbage, do your own in successive sowings as you cannot eat 15 cabbages in a 3 week period... and cabbage is dead easy.
- Don't do broccoli in summer, get it in nice and early and then another planting in late June for September heads.
- Don't do those stupid Amsterdam carrots, get some good solid nantaise varieties and the Colmar Red Hearts, they give better results. Sow thickly in a polytunnel in early spring.
- Don't be afraid to try climbing beans, just get the right variety.
Subscribe to Posts [Atom]