Monday, July 07, 2008

 

Gooseberry meringue pie

This was how this year's gooseberries finished and it was well appreciated by all the tasters! It is quite sweet, so I have reduced the sugar in the cream in this version. Also I found that the meringue topping didn't go very crunchy. I wondered if I shouldn't do a pavlova style meringue next time, folding in some cornflour at the end?

Ingredients:
For the creme patissiere:

For the fruit filling:

For the meringue:

Also a sweetcrust pastry (either shop bought or home made. I think it suits a small tin, a 20-22 cm diameter)

So line the pie tin with the pastry and blind bake it for 7 minutes. Leave to cool.
Well ahead of time, make the creme: boil the milk in a small pan either with the vanilla pods or some vanilla essence. Then in a bowl, beat the egg yolks and sugar to a creamy froth, add the cornflour and mix well. Add some of the boiling milk to this, stirring well and scrape it all back into the saucepan. Cook on medium low heat until the mixture is well thickened. Leave to cool completely.
Now make the fruit filling: put the fruit and sugar on low heat until the sugar melts and the fruits starts to leak juice, then increase the heat and simmer stirring frequently until the mixture resembles a runny jam. Leave to cool.
Last, make the meringue: beat the egg whites till they start to stiffen then add the sugar and lemon juice and beat well till thick and smooth. As I say, I perhaps would have folded in a heaped teas of cornflour, I rather regretted it.
Build the pie: first the creme on the base, then the fruit then the meringue piped on top (it's hard to spoon it on as I discovered).
Cook in a slow oven (120 deg C) for about 40-45 minutes.

Labels: ,


Comments:
Oh yummy - I have never thought of using gooseberries in a meringue pie - I think I might substitute some of my gooseberry curd with some berries and have a go.
 
Oh how nice! A visit from Allotment Lady! Hello Lottie! I feel kind of duped by my gooseberries, I bought a mixed batch of a green, yellow and red but now they have given fruit, all I have is...red. Never mind, they were delicious.
I bet a gooseberry jammy cook-up would be nice with another recipe of mine, where you make a fruit pie then top it with a mix of egg, butter, sugar and coconut - I will try and post that before the end of the exciting fruit period :-)
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]