Wednesday, June 25, 2008

 

Clafoutis aux cerises

A friend has a yellow cherry tree which has given masses of fruit this year so they kindly gave me a whole load of fruit. I froze some of it, for late cherry pies and made a few into a "clafoutis". Which means I must post a recipe:

Clafoutis aux cerises
Butter an ovenproof dish, I use a flattish Pyrex casserole dish.
Heat oven to 180 deg C.
Wash and tail the cherries but leave the stones in. Place them in the dish.
With a whisk, mix the flour, salt, sugar in a bowl, add the eggs and mix to a thick paste. Add the milk a little at a time, whisking. It should make a thick batter. Add the oil, mix again then pour on top of the cherries.
Bake for about 30-35 minutes until golden.

Of course this uses cherries but you can use lots of different fruit, apples&blackberries or plums are excellent. I even have a recipe somewhere for one that uses pears and a strong cheese in the batter, leaving out the sugar, to use as a starter or picnic dish.

Labels: , , ,


Comments:
This is lovely. I made it for dessert last night and I am having it for breakfast this morning. One can justify having it for breakfast. It's basically all the same ingredients as eggs and toast with fruit! Love it!
 
Ha ha that is an interesting way of looking at it! But I admit that folk eat it for breakfast at my house too :-)
If you add more milk to the recipe, until it resembles just a thickish crepe batter and cook it in a flattish dish, you get what is called a "flognarde", it's more like a Toad-in-the-hole experience but with fruit, that is really nice with pears or apples, dusted with icing sugar,exceptit tends to be scoffed rapidly by my hubby as it is quite light and fluffy.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]