Friday, January 26, 2007

 
Hey, it's Australia Day! Even though for the fair dinkum celebrators it's almost all over bar the last can of Fourex. My workmates are complaining that I didn't bring in the Aussie national dish, but I am not really sure what that would be...a Vegemite sandwich (most Frenchies run a mile at the sight ...and smell... of that yellow jar, so I think not), a runny meat pie, a pavlova (nice idea but doesn't travel well), pumkpin scones (nice, but I feel they should be eaten the moment they are whipped out of the oven)... ah I know, Anzac biscuits!!! Nice and hot and chewy when they come out of the oven, crispy after about 5 minutes. OK, OK, I will share my personal recipe:
ANZAC BISCUITS
Ingredients
1 cup plain flour (OK should be a metric cup, but I don't have those here so tend to use a teacup)
1 cup rolled oats
1 cup coconut
1 cup sugar, brown or raw if you have it
1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
60g (about 2 1/2 oz) butter or marg
2 big tablespons of golden syrup
a bit of boiling water

Preparation
I use cooking paper on a flat tray. Preheat the oven to 180°.

What to do
Combine the dry ingredients and mix well.
Melt the butter and syrup together, adding one or two tabs of boiling water to thin it a bit.
Add the butter-syrup and mix well. the mixture can be a bit crumbly, but if it doesn't come together at all, add a little bit more water.
Put blobs of mixture on tray and squash them a little with a floured fork. They should be about 8 cm wide at this point. They will spread so leave some room.
Bake about 10 mins - watch them! They can quickly get too brown and be bitter. They should be a nice toasty colour when done.
Take out of oven and immediately scoop them up and put them to cool. Or else they will harden on the tray and be hard to get off. But you can eat any broken bits...

I will take a picture if I manage to make them over the weekend.
Wonder if any Aussie plants will grow here? I know that I have seen on several occasions Bottle Brush trees and wattles, but I guess the other things are out, like hibiscus and frangipani, not to mention mangoes and pawpaws.

Labels: , ,


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]